THE Port of Los Angeles handled 625,381 TEU in February compared to 713,721 TEU a year ago, a decrease of 12.4 percent.
There were 298,974 full cargo containers that landed at the port, 19.8 cent down on February last year's figure. However, loaded containers that left the port increased by 6 per cent from 146,488 TEU to 155,357 TEU.
Empty containers handled during February totalled 171,048 TEU, down 12 per cent compared to last year.
"While volumes eased compared to the record cargo we saw last February, I'm pleased that we've seen year-over-year growth to start 2017," Port of Los Angeles executive director Gene Seroka said. "We are actively engaged on many fronts to grow cargo volumes and jobs in the San Pedro Bay."
The August 31 bankruptcy of Hanjin Shipping Co. Ltd., had a part to play as much of the cargo originally meant for Hanjin's Port of Long Beach terminal was redirected to LA's terminals instead, the Los Angeles Business Journal reported.
The Port of Long Beach also saw a decline in the month of February. They said the Lunar New Year was the main reason for the slowdown.
Source: SchednetPrevious Next